Monday, July 11, 2011

Basic Construction

A few tips for amateur builders out there:
  • Check your lumber over carefully. You don't want to unknowingly buy warped or cracked boards or plywood. Many stores won't take it back after purchasing, so make sure you know what you're getting. Don't be afraid to pick through the lumber yourself! You have a right to choose the best of the bunch.
  • Have some good tools. I am fortunate to have about everything I could ever need to build with, but there are a few specialty tools I have used in this project. You can make do without, or find someone who has one to borrow if you don't want to sink any extra money into tools right now. I will update the list when I think of additional tools I used...there's so many!
List of tools needed:
  • Circular Saw and safety goggles
  • Jigsaw
  • Hammer
  • Level
  • Square
  • Pencil
  • Cordless Drill w/ phillips bit, drill bits
  • Sander and sandpaper (220 grit is what I used the most of, I believe)
  • Sawhorses
  • Socket set or socket attachment for drill to tighten nuts (I used a socket screwdriver set)
  • Paintbrushes, dropcloth, paint thinnner
  • Wood Plane

I'll post a list of materials needed in a bit. It will take a bit of time to calculate all that I have bought for this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment